The Sterling Hotel:
A well loved member of the community
The original mansion at the 1300 H Street property was built in 1894 and owned by the Hale family. Affluent, successful department store entrepreneurs, the Hales later became a part of the Weinstock-Lubin-Hale partnership. The families of the partnership were well respected in Sacramento, throughout business and social circles. In the 1930s, the Hale mansion was sold and converted into a 16-unit apartment building.
In 1987, the building was purchased and underwent extensive renovation. It re-opened as The Sterling Hotel Sacramento in early 1988. The exquisite property housed the Chanterelle restaurant and two separate event areas. The Drawing Room accommodated about 100 guests, and the Glass Conservatory, imported from England, accommodated more than 100 for a formal sit-down affair or 200 guests for standing events such as fundraisers and cocktail parties.
In 1995, the hotel was again refurbished, including a 10,000-square-foot expansion. The Sterling Ballroom, replacing the Glass Conservatory, is now able to accommodate 200 seated guests and 400 for standing events. Five new sleeping rooms were added onto the south end of the building, bringing the total number of guestrooms to 16. Room 202 was formerly the Butler’s room; the area containing the restaurant was where Mrs. Hale, following the Victorian-era trend of owning exotic pets, kept her monkeys!